Daniel- I hate you

This wasn’t the future he wanted…


“Where the fuck you left my laptop’s case strap!” Mr. Bane yelled.

A chill ran all the way through Daniel’s back spine. He has totally forgotten everything about the case strap, and then he had quick flashback again…

It happened on the 2nd of May, leaving another 2 days left for Daniel’s upcoming mid semester exam. Keith, his best friend for life, took him out for a break at a shopping mall, they even meet up with others, friends who Daniel hasn’t seen for months, Gerald and Pete. Each of every one of them had also brought their own laptop (it was Keith’s idea, as he is quite curious about customizing his own newly bought laptop), have lunch and a chit-chat as if they haven’t seen each others for years.

As they spend most of the day together in the shopping mall, it was getting crowded sooner as the time flies. Then “it” happened. Gerald grabbed Daniel’s whole laptop case, took out the strap and put it on his while Daniel was answering a call. After he hung up the call, “Why are you taking my laptop’s case strap?” he asked Gerald…

“Don’t worry, man, I promised that I will return it as soon as we’re leaving.” Gerald told him, Daniel took a quick scan through Gerald; he chuckled, “With that size of that laptop of yours, no wonder you wanted that strap.” Gerald smiled back at him. That smile. It resembles his father a lot, suddenly Daniel was terrified as the smile reminds him of his father, Mr. Bane, then he quickly reminded Gerald again “You better not forget to return that strap, this laptop doesn’t belong to me, it belongs to my father.” Daniel wasn’t able to finish the last sentence; Gerald was already busy talking with Keith and Pete. Daniel was staring at the back, chuckled, and laughs at himself for worrying too much over a laptop’s case strap. Then he quickly joined with others and enjoyed himself that day. And it was his last.

Back to the reality..

As he could tell that his father was really pissed off, he explained to Mr. Bane that his friend had borrowed it the other day. “Shit, Shit. Shit!” swearing to himself as he totally forgotten about it and quickly look through for Gerald’s contact number, despise Mr. Bane is still swearing at him at the Daniel’s back with each of every knowledge he knows about swearing.
Found it! He had found his contact number! Saved at last from the Devil’s wrath! Mr. Bane’s wrath! Using his top speed to dial that number as he wanted to get out of that mess as soon as possible!

“Du… Du Du…Du…Du Du…” The phone still ringing and Mr. Bane is still waiting for an answer. “Hello?” Daniel took his largest breath ever in his entire life, relieving as he heard Gerald’s voice. “Dude! You’ve totally forgotten to return that laptop’s case strap that belongs to my dad! Where the hell are you? I’ll go pick it up from you tomorrow at a certain place! Just remember to bring that strap tomorrow, ok? Don’t ever FORGET!”

“Whoa, whoa, whoa, slow down, Daniel! What’s the rush? You sounded like it was concerning of a matter of life and death. Yeah, about that strap, I’m really sorry that I’ve forgotten to return it to you, don’t worry. I’ve pass it to Pete on that day!” Daniel’s heart has sunk to the bottom of the floor he is standing on. Then Gerald continued “I’m sure that Pete could pass it Keith for you, you can get it from Keith as both of you study in the same college. Oh yeah, and I apologize again for forgetting about returning, LoL, no hard feelings! By the way, chat with you next time, I’m busy!” Then he hung up, Daniel almost passed out, his hope has hung up on him. He mind was blank that moment, remembering that Pete lived far from him, quickly recovering from his fear, he quickly make another call.

Pete answered the call, Daniel says “Dude, erm, hey, I heard from Gerald that he left that strap in your car. So, I was wondering if you could give it back to me tomorrow? I’m really desperate for it. How about I meet you up at the same spot tomorrow? Is 4pm ok?” Pete replied, Daniel listens “What the hell, is not like it was my responsibilities that Gerald had forgotten to return that strap from the beginning, and I couldn’t drive the car on weekdays, sorry pal, there’s nothing I can do.” Controlling the rage within him, Daniel’s trying not to make things worse; he asked Pete “Oh, I see. But as you can see, my father needed that strap, so, I’m really hoping that you could come up with a solution. Can you give me a call as soon as possible when you thought of one?” Pete replied “Yeah, yeah, yeah, blah, blah, blah, whatever, I’ll come up with one.” Pete definitely is busy with his computers again, Daniel thought. He thanked Pete and then hung up. Facing the Devil behind him, he explained that his friend would return it as soon as possible; Mr. Bane left him alone after a good bloody scolding on Daniel.

A few minutes later, someone called; Daniel thought it was Pete, feeling glad that Pete didn’t disappoint him. As he answered the call, it wasn’t Pete, it was Gerald. He said to Daniel “Hey, dude, I heard that you’ve got a real good scolding from your father, I’m really sorry about it, but I really can’t do anything about it, SORRY!”

A few thoughts came to Daniel's mind that day..

That was the worst “sorry” he’ve ever heard in his entire life.

And he didn’t receive any other call after Gerald calls.

The Bane family couldn’t get any peace for the following days as Daniel still couldn’t get that strap back; On that second day of hell for Daniel, his mother was really ill, Mr. Bane and Daniel quickly seek for doctor’s help. Mrs. Bane felt whole lot better on the following day. Everything was back to normal again, Mr. Bane’s love for his wife have made him forgotten everything about that strap. Daniel was happy, really happy as Mr. Bane has return to his human form, the humor, the caring and the smile have all came back to the family again.

It was Happy Mother Day, and relatives have invited them to celebrate together as well. Daniel was watching his show, and then he saw that Mr. Bane was holding the laptop case again. The happy family that Daniel wanted didn’t last long; he knew that Mr. Bane would surely ask for the strap again. In that moment, he witnessed the Devil revived again. Things happened, argument between Mr and Mrs. Bane happened as well, and then Mrs. Bane quickly rescued Daniel and left the Devil in the house alone.

They went to their casual shopping mall. They celebrated their own Happy Mother Day (as they didn’t attend the relatives’ party). They did their shopping. Without the Devil. Everything was peaceful, despise the crowded noises, everything was still felt peaceful for the mother and son.
At the moment, Daniel saw his one and only true friend, Keith. He was doing his shopping with his family in the same shopping mall as well, and then the 2 families spend the night together. Daniel really enjoyed that night, the joy that Keith’s family have brought for him, and his mother as well. Daniel felt like he’s back home again. But it only lasted 45 minutes; Daniel and his mother are leaving as the night doesn’t allow them to stay longer with the Keith’s family.

That was Daniel happiest moment in his entire life, his entire hours, and minutes and seconds that he had lived within it. The 45 minutes, Daniel swore that he would never forget about it.

On the way home, the mother and son were in the car, waiting for the green light, and silence. Daniel apologized to his mother, said “Sorry for this crappy Happy Mother Day celebration.” Hoping that his mother would felt better. But instead, Mrs. Bane bursts into tears, sobbing and said “I really don’t want to go home. Why does he have to be so bad tempered over a strap” What Mrs. Bane said really hurts Daniel. He stares outside while his mother was still driving them home.

Looking at Daniel, I couldn’t help it. I asked him that if he’s okay. He stared at me, I could see that there wasn’t any single significant of life in his eyes, and he said to me.

“Why did I borrow that strap to him at the beginning?”

I looked at him. Feeling guilty.

“Knowing this fucking Pete surely was a mistake.”

I felt bad. Really bad.

“Is he really my father?”

“I hate you.” Daniel says to me. Finishing me off with the last question, giving me a fatal blow at my heart, he says to me: “Why did you choose me to be you?!”

0 comments:

Post a Comment